At the Convention of 1825, the Russians came to an understanding with the British that made their American territory less critical economically. The sea mammals that were responsible for most of the furs were also severely depleted, lessening Fort Ross’ importance even more.
John Sutter purchased the property in 1841. It was sold a few more times until the state acquired the land in 1906. The original chapel was destroyed by the earthquake of 1906. That same year, the state acquired the land and was entrusted with its preservation. It was rebuilt with many of the original materials a decade later. In 1970, it burned to the ground and a replica now stands on the site.