Vine Cliff Vineyards
Vine Cliff Vineyards is in the eastern hills and was part of George Yount’s original Caymus Rancho land grant from General Vallejo. The original winery was built in 1871 by George Burrage and Thomas Tucker. They bought the property from George Yount the previous year. They use sustainable farming practices in the vineyard.
In 1985, Charles and Nell Sweeney bought the 100 acre Oakville estate. They currently live on the property and have planted 20 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon, and a few acres of Merlot and Zinfandel. Vine Cliff grows several different clones of Cab to blend into the finished wine.
The Sweeneys produced their first vintage in 1990 and finished building their production facilities in 1995. Vine Cliff also owns 20 acres in Carneros that was planted with 12 acres of vines in 1999.