The History of York Mountain Wineries
The History of York Mountain Vineyards and Wineries
Now known as York Mountain Winery, the property has been owned by three local families throughout its entire history. The tasting room is made of stone and is over a century old.
York originally planted Zinfandel, Alicante Bouschet and the Mission varietal. He made wine for Ignace Paderewski with grapes from Mr. Paderewski’s famous Adelaida Vineyard. The best wine these two men collaborated on was the San Ignacio Zinfandel.
From 1882 to 1970, 3 generations of the York Family owned and operated the property. They sold their wine to a local market and to San Francisco until Max Goldman bought the winery in 1970. The Goldman Family considerably improved the vineyards and production facilities in the three decades they owned the winery.
The York Mountain AVA is located on Highway 46 about 7 miles west of Highway 101. In addition to York Mountain Winery, there are currently two other producers in the region: Stephens Cellar and Shadow Canyon Cellars. The York Mountain AVA was approved in 1983 and encompasses 5,200 total acres.
> York Mountain and other SLO Wineries