'Rock Garden Roll' Auction Raises $800,000 for Copia’s Education Programs
Copia held its six annual ‘Rock Garden Roll’ auction, dinner and dance this past week. The auction was a considerable success, rising over $800,000 for the center’s educational programs.
The event was held under the grand tent in Copia’s Edible Gardens, and saluted guest of honor Margrit Biever Mondavi. There were some 240 guests at the event, ranging from supporters of the center, to some of the most influential people in California’s wine industry.
As you would expect, the dinner was outstanding. La Torque founder and chef Ken Frank and Julias Kitchen’s Jeff Mosher put together the menu for the evening. It was a four course dinner pairs with wines from area cellars.
The guests were entertained by the music from Tina Turner and Madonna impersonators, as presenter Fritz Hatton auctioned off 20 luxury travel and rare wine lots. The top bids included
$80,000 for four days in London and Bordeaux, including accommodations at Lord Jacob Rothschild’s Waddesdon Manor, and wine tastings at Chateau Mouton Rothschild and Lafite Rothschild.
- *$75,000 for a dinner for eight at with Judi and Wilf Jager and wines from the 1978 vintage;
- $55,000 for a trip to the wine regions of Chile and Argentina;
- $46,000 for a private jet flight to and from Maryville, Tenn.for an epicurean adventure at Blackberry Farm’s cooking school;
- $30,000 for a jeraboam of 1982 Chateau Latour;
- $28,000 for a magnum of 1945 Mouton Rothschild, which Copia trustee Joe Wender, the high bidder, opened and shared with his dinner table at the event.*